Tok of the Tribe

The Chase

GM: You journey through the growing dark headed west for an hour. By the time night has completely fallen you are directly north of your village. It is a couple miles south of you and you can make it out from the scattered camp fires.

Tok: I should probably find a good spot to rest a bit, eat some of my stinky cheese and whatever I have left. I feel I should meditate and feel the vibe of the place, see if I can gain any guidance.

GM: Besides a thick coat on your tongue from the cheese and waking refreshed from a good night’s sleep, nothing of interest occurs during the night.

Tok: As I wake I’ll pay careful attention to my surroundings, listening, sniffing the breeze, etc. If all seems well I shall continue on my way trying to catch up with my brethren.

GM: Somehow during the night your tracking turned topsy turvey and you wound up heading in the wrong direction in the morning. Not to worry though, you only headed the wrong direction for a mile before you realized that you were approaching your village. With your keep senses in overload and slightly dazed, you turned around and got back on track.

After a day’s journey over the flat, rolling plain, you still haven’t caught up with them. By the time it’s time to rest, you see no trace of them and haven’t been able to determine how close or far away you are.

Tok: I need guidance. I will gather up some of my remaining food as an offering and use my shaker to try and contact a local spirit to ask about my brethren,both captives and rescuers.

GM: After some time chanting, a shimmering raises from the ground. A young man, very similar to the last apparition you saw, appears before you.

“Welcome, son of Earth.”

In response to your questions he closes his eyes and concentrates. “Those who have been taken are beyond my sight. As to the brethren you are following, you are on their trail and should meet them soon. One has been injured, but the rest fare well.”

Tok: “Thank you spirit for your help. Will you place your Detect Poison spell upon my shaker that I may use it to help my wounded brother? I wish you peace. Thank you.”

If we are still headed for the strange hut, that was near water so I should be able to find fresh water soon. I’ll try to get as much rest as I can before setting off again after the rest.

GM: “I have replaced the magic upon your shaker with the ability to detect poison. May it aid you and your brethren.”

He swooshes off in into a stream of water in an s-pattern into the sky.

In the morning you take off. The travel is routing. About 5 miles into your journey you see what appears to be a large lake 2 miles to your right (east).

Tok: Can I still follow the trail? Will I get near enough to the lake to get more water if I continue after them?

GM: The lake is off the the right while the trail forges ahead. You could go to the lake then backtrack to get back on the trail if you wished.

Tok: If I can have filled water skins, I will continue after my Brethren, if not I will go to the lake first.

GM: After 5 hours on the trail, headed northwest, you’re on a elevated part of the plain and you can see that two miles to your right there is strange white hut like you saw at the other river.

Tok: What time of day is it? Can I see any sign of my brethren, or anything other than the strange hut?

GM: It is about noon.
The grass is getting thin and dry here, and appears more so up ahead on the trail.
While standing and contemplating whether to continue ahead or to investigate the hut, you see what appears to be a group of human type figures about 2 miles north of you on the path you’re following.

Tok: I need to know if these are who I seek. Are they traveling to me or away from me? If they are traveling away from me I will I will run as quietly as I may to them until I am close enough to identify friend or foe. If they are already heading to me…hmm, I suppose if it seems like they have not yet seen me I will see if there is some place I might hide until I can learn more.

GM: You stand and watch. It’s difficult to discern movement or the direction they go, but after 30 minutes you conclude that they are heading away from you. You begin to jog in their direction. After on and off jogging for 2 hours, you can make out a ragtag band of men and boys from your village headed speedily north, though not at a run.

Tok: Paying attention to our surroundings and possible ambush spots, I’ll try to catch up with them.

GM: A quarter mile away from them and they haven’t seen you yet. They possibly are too intently focused on the path ahead. You can see them a couple of them stop in their tracks and a few others slow down. Then they disappear over what seems to be a steep incline – some of them jumping, others quickly descending (running?)

Tok: I’m disappointed they didn’t hear me sooner. Perhaps they’re hiding from me and preparing to ambush me? Primates. I’ll head over to one side instead of following directly in their path, try to see over into the place they jumped.

GM: The further north you’ve gone, the scrawnier and scrawnier the grass has become, and the dryer the soil has become. Where you’ve spent your entire life, the grass has always been lush and green, the soil always moist. Now you look out at the last few straggling blades of withered grass and a vast expanse of light brown dust interrupted only by some mountains in the distance that grow closer with each step. The temperature is slightly warmer than before, but parched of the moisture from living things.

You head to the side of the trail that your comrades went on and ease up to the place they disappeared. The scene you see is one you haven’t seen before. It looks to be a river, but without water. Instead of fish there are only rocks. If it were a river, you would be standing on the bank of it. It is a steep incline to the bottom, but the bottom is only 10 feet down. Your friends are halfway across the “river” – about 50 feet in front of you. They blatantly ignore the scenery and trudge on to the northwest.

Comments

rlotze

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.